I’ve been missing home this week. But several things have put a smile on my face, including:
1. The new Topshop at The Bay (shallow, I know)
2. Listening to BBC Radio 6 Music on the new iplayer radio ap
3. Having my condo pool and jacuzzi entirely to myself for a whole, blissful, hour
4. The Songified version of the Presidential debate
5. Watching the Humber River salmon run
I’d always wanted to see salmon trying to make their way upstream. It’s hard to explain the appeal, but watching 25 pound salmon leaping out of the water in the middle of an urban park is weirdly fascinating.
The annual spectacle attracted a crowd on Sunday afternoon, with lots of “oohs” and “ahhs” as, one-by-one, the salmon made a desperate bid for safety. Kids ran about excitedly, squealing: “Holy smoke, that was a big ‘un!”
Sadly, we didn’t see any salmon actually make it, and their plight was exploited by a few opportunistic fishermen.
I got to the Humber River by bike, via a trail stretching 22km from the Harbourfront to Cruickshank Park. I think it’s my new favourite cycle route.
Here’s the route I took: